Monday, January 18, 2010

What's the most effective way to get rid of ground squirrels under my house?

Plant a tree so they can live in the tree like most squirrels do,





edit oh wait you mean ground hogs. call a trapperWhat's the most effective way to get rid of ground squirrels under my house?
I've heard mothballs work just throw them around under the house. Wont kill them they just don't like the smell. But make sure they are out of the reach of children. Look up mothballs on the web and see if it is something you are comfortable with using. If you put them into something like wire screen then it can't be gotten to to eat and the smell will still drive them off.What's the most effective way to get rid of ground squirrels under my house?
The first step is to come to terms with the fact that you're gonna have to kill at least some of 'em to get rid of all of them, and the second step is to be ready for their imminent return, because the same thing that drew the first colonies to your property will most assuredly draw more in the future.





That said, nobody probably wants to cut down their oak trees or quit their bird-feeding hobby, but both are great ways to make your property less inviting to ground squirrels, because all they need are ready sources of food and shelter to make them feel right at home. But unwilling to cut down our 60-foot oak tree and unable to talk my wife out of feeding the birds, I declared war instead... just call me Carl Spackler.





Last year I called an exterminator, who left fake plastic rocks baited with poison strategically placed around the house, but when new holes started appearing a few weeks later I took matters into my own hands, set 2 bucket traps and drowned over 20 ground squirrels in a week.





Use 5-gallon buckets filled about 4/5s with water, lean a small board (about 30'; long) against the top lip of the bucket and sprinkle a few handfuls of oil sunflower seeds on top of the water. This works best if you change the water and add fresh seeds every other day (they'll sink to the bottom of the bucket) and of course you'll need a place to dump the drowned squirrels... we have an empty field near our house, where they quickly become easy meals for lazy foxes, coyotes and owls.





But that was last fall, and sure enough they returned with a vengence this spring, in what seemed like greater numbers than ever... more holes around the foundation than last year, and worst of all a small hole beneath our brand new stamped concrete patio suddenly turned into a BIG hole with several cubic yards of dirt and patio base (sand %26amp; gravel) thrown all over the place.





No more messin' around... this year I'm using poison gas bombs, which are effective on the smaller burrows (they have to be sealed after inserting the lit bomb), along with poison bait, bucket traps and strategically placed live traps, which I submerge in a trash can full of water to drown the trapped ground squirrels. I know that sounds harsh, but I just keep the trash can full of water right next to the big new hole beside my patio to remind myself how much damage these rodents can do, otherwise I probably couldn't bring myself to drown 'em.





After it appears that I've killed or driven off this year's gound squirrels I'm going to try Critter Ridder (made by Havahart, who also makes the live traps I'm using), or another product containing coyote or fox urine. According to their manufacturers, these products work best at repelling new colonies, but aren't very effective at driving away established colonies. You do have to keep re-applying every 30 days or so, but I'd rather do that than spend every spring and fall waging war on these persistent pests.





(havahart.com or critter-repellent.com, to name a few)





By the way, our 2 golden retrievers, several neighborhood outdoor cats and a 2 nesting pairs of screech owls weren't enough of a deterrent to keep the ground squirrels away in the first place, so unless you can get a family of gopher snakes to move into your yard, you're gonna have to do this on your own.





Happy Hunting!
Get a girl squirrely and chuck em' up a tree. Lol. No, just kidding, I think there are some solutions on google, which is a much easier way then waiting here for answers from dummies like me who are bored and dont have a life because their cousin just ditched them for someone else and lied. :(
Release a bunch of cats under your house.
Some good answers but in reality they say to scatter moth balls under the house. they hate the smell and should make them leave or so i,ve heard. worth a try
get them poisoned!
show them a picture of michael jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment